There are many delicious versions and varieties of Green Goddess Dips out there. Some people include avocado in theirs. Some substitute greek yogurt for the mayonnaise to make a lighter version.
Lately I have been making Ina Garten’s variety. I love the Barefoot Contessa and her recipes are all so simple and delicious and easy to follow. I make her version and I don’t deviate. This recipe includes the addition of anchovy paste. You may be inclined to skip this but I would encourage you to try it. It does not taste like anchovies or fish at all. It just adds a lovely, salty depth of flavor that can’t be achieved with just salt alone.
- 1 cup good mayonnaise
- 1 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts (6 to 7 scallions)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
Place the mayonnaise, scallions, basil, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the sour cream and process just until blended. (If not using immediately, refrigerate the dressing until ready to serve.)